May 20th 2019: The bidding process for the deisgn and build of the Zabłocie Innovation Hub is live. View information here.
March 16th, 2020: First public consulation at MOCAK.
Zabłocie Innovation Hub Moves Ahead In 2019
Please Note: Article Will Be Upaded As More Information Becomes Available
A dynamic innovation ecosystem requires physical spaces that provide high quality facilities and stimulating programming to support entrepreneurs and creators. Krakow Technology Park provides a quality example how a building creates an ecosystem whose impact is felt far beyond its walls. Krakow has a pressing need for additional institutions who can play similar roles. Zabłocie Innovation Hub, known formally as “Klaster Innowacji Społeczno-Gospodarczych Zabłocie 20.22” is Krakow’s best opportunity to energize the city’s entrepreneurial and creative community.
5 Reasons Krakow Needs Zabłocie Innovation Hub
1. A physical space with a concentrated area of knowledge, opportunities and tools is essential to empower Krakow entrepreneurs and innovators.
2. The most innovative communities in Krakow including tech entrepreneurs, social innovators, new media artists and community leaders will have a location to operate in together.
3.The best future ideas for the City of Krakow will be generated and tested here by its citizens.
4. Zabłocie Innovation Hub will be an anchor for the Zabłocie neighborhood as the city’s tech and creative district.
5. It will help the City of Krakow to remain among leading Polish cities in an increasingly competitive national context.
Ideas Behind The Project
The project consists of refurbishing and changing the uses of two existing, degraded storage buildings into the Zabłocie Innovation Hub which is to become a center for social and technological innovation realizing the ideas of SMART City. It will link the knowledge and technology sector with entrepreneurship incubation and community activity. The main idea is to create a space guaranteeing both technical and organizational circumstances to work, study, and even spending leisure time while integrating diverse communities and building an innovative environment. Under one roof there will be space for new and existing startups and microenterprises, creators, community organizations, residents and informal groups available to everyone interested in communal work outside traditional structures and relations. It will be a place to exchange of ideas, skills and experiences to create innovative products and solutions and to find support.
The 5 Zones OF Zabłocie Innovation Hub
1. Entrepreneurship Zone includes activities in the area of startups, entrepreneurship incubation and other innovative businesses.
2. Creative Zone includes activities within art and design, new media, artist actions and exhibitions.
3. Social Innovation Zone includes activities of NGOs, non-profits, charities, community and citizen groups and independent incubators and social labs.
4. City Of Krakow Zone includes Biuro Miejskiego Ośrodka Wspierania Inicjatyw Społecznych UMK and its partners.
5. Integration Zone will work to integrate all zone togethers and be a place of exchange and interaction among building users.
Value And Impact
This project will be the biggest addition to the innovation ecosystem since the opening of the new Krakow Technology Park building on Podole 60 in 2015.
- The total budget of the project is 34 582 347,14zł.
- The entire area of the project is about 0,92 hectares
- The buildings will be energy efficient and handicapped accessible.
Q1 2019: Announcement of the bid to design and build
November 2019: Planned time to complete project documentation
March 2021: Invesmtent completed
The Cause For Concern
There is significant cause for concern throughout the development process for the Zabłocie Innovation Hub, the final users of the building have rarely been consulted or integrated into the decision making process. This project is the only one of its kind on the horizon in the City of Krakow, thus it is essentail to get it right. However, without consultation and integration of the buildings target group, there is a likelihood that the final outcome may not be optimal.
The Foundation Supporting #OMGKRK is working to ensure that the interests of the startup community will be heard and take into consideration as this project unfolds. If you would like to get involved please email email@example.com
UMK: Umowa dofinansowania projektu „Klaster Innowacji Społeczno-Gospodarczych Zabłocie 20.22”
UMK: Inwestycje ZIM w 2019
ZIM: Klaster Innowacji Społeczno-Gospodarczych Zabłocie 20.22
Gazeta Krakowska: Kraków. Zamiast rudery powstanie nowoczesny klaster
O Konkursie Architektonicznym w 2017: